The fact that Columbus has the best zoo in the country should come as no surprise to anyone who has seen Jack Hanna on Letterman. The zoo has been open since 1927 but it’s reputation elevated considerably under Hanna’s guidance, making it what is considered today to be the aspiration of any traditional zoo. Along with over 7,000 animals, the Columbus Zoo has more recently expanded to include a water park, amusement park and golf resort.
The zoo features great exhibits, packed full of information about the animals and their habitats. They have an abundance of different animals. They also feature REALLY cool bronze statues at the “key” animal exhibits, many life sized, for you or your children to pose with for pictures. What a unique idea!
If you are thinking about a trip here’s some tips:
- Plan to spend more than 1 day here. There is a LOT of ground to cover for the animal exhibits. If you plan to take part in the waterpark or the amusement area, plan for at least 3 days. They will be worth it.
- This zoo lets you bring your own food if you like. DO IT… even if it’s only a sandwich from somewhere else. The food prices are high inside the park, and you’ll be happy you thought to bring drinks or food of your own.
- Get there EARLY. The zookeepers bring out animals to pet during the first hour or two the zoo is open.
- Buy your tickets for whatever you want to do (zoo, waterpark, rides) at the front gate early in the day. You can buy tickets at the doors for each (waterpark, rides), but the lines are super long near the attractions themselves.
- The food court, although it’s at the back of the zoo, is what you should plan to eat if you decide to eat there. Good food (with a kiddie station all it’s own featuring mac&cheese, chicken nuggets, etc.)!! and free drink refills. Smartest choice hands down.
A few videos from inside the park:
If you are looking to buy or sell a property in New Albany, Gahanna, Blacklick, Westerville, or another Central Ohio community, please contact The Raines Group. We offer professional real estate advice and are happy to help you achieve your real estate goals. Please contact us today via our online contact form or by calling The Raines Group at 614-418-7417.