If you want to have an edge in the real estate market today, you should fully prepare your home before putting it on the market. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Start Outside: Stand across the street from your home and take an honest look at it, from a buyer’s perspective.
- Keep the yard looking tidy – mowed, raked, fertilized, and watered if in the warmer months; remove snow from driveway and walkways in the winter months.
- Remove all refuse, leaves, and clutter from yard, sidewalks, porches, patios, and decks.
- Give trim, decks, gates, and the front door a fresh coat of paint.
- Invest in a new door mat.
Clean your house: A filthy bathroom is the worst, second only to a dirty kitchen.
- Re-caulk tile in the bathrooms if the caulk is not sparkling white.
- Deep clean any spots on carpet, as well as the high-traffic areas.
- Remove posters and adhesive from walls and doors.
- Putty all nail holes and any other holes in the walls.
- De-personalize your rooms and decorate them in a more neutral manner.
- Clean or paint the basement walls and floor, seal if possible.
Let the light in:Wash your windows inside and out, because dirty windows keep out light.
- Open the shades. Basically, people like light, so if your rooms have dark colors, you will want to consider repainting them.
- Install high-wattage bulbs in areas where needed.
De-clutter your house: Clutter makes your house look small and unloved.
- Put away ALL kitchen counter items.
- Remove cars from the driveway or in front of the home.
- Pack away framed family photographs, figureines, vases, and other excessive decorative items.
- Remove all extra blankets and pillows from sofas, chairs, and tables.
- Put away all pens, paper, medicine bottles, mail, and magazines from countertops and office area.
- Minimize the amount of toys left out by children, both inside and outside the home.
- Relocate high-chairs or children’s plastic/wood chairs to an area such as the laundry room or garage during showings.
- Remove dog/cat toys, as well as food and water dishes.
- Put away all shopping bags, season-specific decor, and laundry.
- Organize your closets. Remove unnecessary items and put them in storage. Closets highlight the storage space that your home as to offer.
The Raines Group has sold hundreds of homes, and can take a professional look at your home. They are happy to help you prepare your home for the market. Please contact us if you need any assistance.
If you are looking to buy or sell a property in New Albany, Gahanna, Blacklick, Westerville, or another Central Ohio community, please contact The Raines Group. We offer professional real estate advice and are happy to help you achieve your real estate goals. Please contact us today via our online contact form or by calling The Raines Group at 614-418-7417.